Wednesday, May 11, 2016

My Reflective New Testament Encounter

I love reading the Bible but I have to admit I tend to lean towards the OT at times due to the narrative and poetic genres it contained. To prepare for this module, I read the NT slowly, chewing and gnawing each book, and finally came to appreciate and love the NT just as how God would desire me to. Now, I would share my reflections on some of the things I have learnt through Bro Casey and Ps Eileen.

         Discipleship. We are called to make disciples and Jesus sets us the example of how we should do it. Jesus initiates and offers his hands. He is constantly on a lookout to find followers. He told tax collector, fishermen and men from various backgrounds, “Come, follow me.” I want to be like Jesus, someone who is not afraid of rejection because my motivation comes from God’s love and reconciliation. Jesus is approachable and personal. He even spoke Aramaic at times to be on common ground with the masses. I want to be approachable and personal to anyone who comes my way too. This is important in discipleship and mentoring. At times, even painful. As a youth leader to many batches of youths in the church and the Royal Rangers ministry, there are times I struggle with correction and rebuking. What will they think of me? Will they stop coming to me with their issues after I correct them? Will they be afraid of me? Each time, I have to overcome my fear of rejection from them and remind myself that my motivation is love and concern. It took a while for some to be convicted. Nevertheless, I prayed and kept a constant lookout for them. Since Jesus took the initiative to approach Peter and reinstate him after denying Jesus, I learn to humble myself to take the initiative to talk to them after a while.  Over time, they know my heart and all will be well. Praise the Lord!

        Faith comes by hearing and reading the Word of God. In the Gospels, Jesus taught different groups of people - his disciples, the masses, religious leaders and certain individuals. Even though his disciples were considered to be the “insiders” since they are closest to Jesus, eating, sleeping and living with him, they struggled and didn’t understand what Jesus was trying to say most of the times. This jolted me up from spiritual slumber. Have I been spiritually deaf or blind? Has God been trying to teach me something and I didn’t get it? I do want to be spiritually sensitive. So what do I need? Faith. Faith is the key ingredient to understanding and experiencing Christ! I constantly need faith to believe in what God is doing in my life or telling me to do. What is my next step? Is this really the next step? For faith to grow and increase, I need to dig deep into His Word daily and allow the word of God to transform and renew my mind. When faith takes root in my life, it will be evident and obvious in my lifestyle, my words and actions. It takes effort but it’s worth it. I do want “insider’s” news from God and I want God to whisper His secrets to me. Sshhhh….


          Obedience from the heart is all He asks of me. One of my favourite verses is 1 Samuel 15:22, “…obedience is better than sacrifice…”. The purpose of the Law given by God in the OT was to enable His people to maintain a right relationship with God. The Law gives us healthy boundaries and determines who or what is right in a relationship. However, to the Jews, fulfilling the Law was important to them because they wanted to get blessings from God. In Matt 5:20, when Jesus told his disciples that they would not enter the kingdom of heaven unless their righteousness exceeded the religious leaders, he was not telling them to compete with the religious leaders. That would be too tall an order since these leaders are already so pious. Jesus desires us to obey out of our love for God. Instead of looking for an outward form, He is looking at our hearts. He takes the Law one step up. Jesus was telling his disciples then and his readers today to obey because we love. Are we obeying God from our hearts today?


           In one of the reflection questions, we were asked, “Could the four Gospels be a product of different social styles?” The purpose and the make-up of the person you’re trying to reach is important. Thus, we should recommend our pre-believing friends or young believers to read the Gospels according to their make-up. I was reminded of how I accepted Christ. Although I was born in a Christian family and accepted Christ several times in Sunday School, I only remembered the final one at a crusade at the then outdoor national stadium. I was only eight. The renowned evangelist gave the altar call, “Who wants Jesus to be your best friend?” I tugged my mom’s blouse and told her I wanted to walk to the centre of the stadium. There were thousands of people standing there already. We stepped forward. With tears in my eyes, I uttered my most sincere prayer. As a Sanguine, friends are important to me. God knows me and He reached out to me, then and today.

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:18 PM

    Thanks Aggie for the reminder about social styles. I found that quite interesting as well, that God uses all of what we have - our personalities, quirks and inclinations - just as we are in order to achieve His purposes. We don't have to all look, dress or behave the same, but our uniqueness as individuals is what makes up the big family of God. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your sharing. It was authentic and reflective. I found your application to your learning to be very helpful. Thanks also for serving us as our team leader

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the 4 social styles was something I took home as well. It made me understand that the same message brought across in different styles would have different effects on different people. Being a 'Luke', I now know why I get frustrated when the 'Mark's don't give me enough information! And this also reminds me to be aware of how I can adjust my way of getting messages across to different people in ways that they are more receptive towards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I'm still figuring out whether I'm a John or....

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Yea, Aggie. The disciples didn't understand what Jesus was trying to say most of the times. I can relate to that. It's like when one holds the book close to the eyes and the words become so blurry that you can't see anything. I'm an optician so forgive me for my lingo. Jesus was right in front of them, right in their face and yet they struggled with spiritual blindness. Human being human, we take the good things for granted in life.This may be the case as well for the disciples. Thank you, Aggie for your sharing. Sometimes i really am asking God, what;'s my next step? As i go through a transitional period right now (switching jobs), i ask God to increase and strengthen my faith as i step out boldly. Me too, need "insider's" info from God. Shhhhh......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May we all have that amount of faith and are spiritually sensitive to step out when He says, "Go!" :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Same here. I love reading the Old Testament as I love reading stories. I used to find the New Testament not as interesting, especially when it comes to Paul's letters. Understanding the political and social background of each book helped me understand the story so much better. I agree that we should take into consideration a new believer's personality and recommend a suitable gospel for them to read as their first experience of reading God's Word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your sharing. I can feel your dilemma of leading the youths. To say or not to say? But God is really good to lead us to the answers:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your sharing :) indeed the word inspires faith in us and helps us to evaluate how we are living our lives. As God continues to use you to serve, continue to grow in your understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ!!:)
    -ruth

    ReplyDelete