Small Groups Encounter

       I started attending cell groups since I was 17 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I grew and matured spiritually and socially as it was a place to grow and make mistakes. When I took this module, I told myself I want to relearn what I know and experienced about small groups or cell groups as I believed I would gain fresh insights and perspectives from Bro Casey, Ps Lindsey and fellow classmates during our sharing sessions. I was not disappointed.

Power of Facilitation
       It’s a skill to ask the correct types of questions to generate deeper discussion. The leader should know how to ask the opening question and when to ask the launching and guiding questions. Knowing and understanding the members well helps. However, there will always be an element of uncertainty because facilitating a bible study is spontaneous. To me, this makes facilitation fun and exciting. I feel application questions are important because it helps members to relate the Bible to their personal life. If the small group is still at the forming stage, asking application questions will allow the members to open up. Summarising the discussion is important as it enables each one to bring home the key point and forms a closure to the topic discussed. I must remember to toss these kinds of questions around to different members in order to bring everyone to the highest level of communication, which is openness and self-disclosure. Yes, the leader should set the example by sharing openly and vulnerably first. Then the members will feel comfortable opening up. Of course, this highest level of communication is only achievable after the group has moved on to the Storming or even the Action Stage.

Interactive Bible Study
       I enjoyed the breakout sessions as I find these interactive Bible study materials engaging and refreshing. The Bible study on ‘Are you living “in” the Spirit?’ left a deep impression on me because the definition on the “fruit” of the Spirit was different from the usual ones. I had to ponder for quite a while before I could circle the number which represented the evidence of the fruit ripening in my life. For example, the definition of patience is having the “strength of will in the midst of trying circumstances and frustrating/ irritating people-not easily threatened when things don’t go your way”. It was rather amusing to see how different individuals in my group respond to it. A few didn’t read the definitions properly and circled wrongly. The sharing sessions were mainly non-threatening and open. We were willing to open up and share our weaknesses and bad habits. When we shared the “one thing I would like to do in my life” on the topic of ‘Greatest Desire’, we were able to encourage and affirm one another’s strengths, gifts and talents as seen evident in our lives. It was through these honest sharing and sincere prayers that the different pairs grew closer and the bonds between the members in my group became stronger too.

Philosophy of Small Groups
        The life cycle of small groups was something new to me. It never occurs to me that there is such a concept as life cycle for small groups. As we shared our feelings, experiences and leadership needed for each stage in our pairs, I could not help but reflected on the three cells I led in the past. It was an emotional moment for me. I took over and led my first cell when my cell leader answered God’s call to become a missionary. There was a re-forming as new members joined us. We struggled a while in this transition but eventually, this small group stabilised and new leaders were raised up. We organised many evangelistic parties, did prayer walks in the neighbourhood and the cell grew.
         Very soon, I knew it was time for me to start a new cell in another zone because of a need. There was no young adults cell in the north. From the current cell, two other leaders followed me to start the cell. The forming and storming stages of this north cell was almost painful. We had to align our expectations and open our hearts all the time. Those who were committed to join initially stopped coming due to various reasons. This small group nearly died when we were down to only 4 committed members, including myself. I told them honestly that we could regroup and join another cell. We tried. Then the three decided they would stick with the group. God honoured our commitment and revived this cell. We grew in numbers and it lasted for more than ten years, bringing much joy to our hearts. Eventually, I had to hand it over to my successor when I too, answered God’s call to become a missionary.
        I started a cell in the northwest part of Singapore after I returned from Japan because once again, there was no young adults cell in that area. We struggled with punctuality and commitment level initially. After a few evaluation sessions and bonding sessions through games and food, the group reached the storming stage. We had to end this cell when our church did a cell restructure.
      Throughout this small groups roller coaster adventure, I was greatly aware of leadership training and made sure everyone was given opportunity to learn and grow. Succession planning was also consciously in my mind from the time the cell started. I thank God for his grace and strength to lead each cell and for supplying good leaders and committed members to support me. 

Comments

  1. Cell Life Cycle is both a joy and a sadness. Joy that the cell grows, sad that the cell has to multiply and divide.
    It is always a difficult time to transit from one stage to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aggie Aggie Aggie, I will never forget your sharing on your greatest desire: to cook for the nations!
    I love the breakout sessions too! They allowed us to know so much about one another and to hear the encouraging comments from our classmates just lift my spirit so much!
    Will continue to pray for that greatest desire of yours, but first, you may want to start on smaller scale by cooking for me! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too enjoyed the breakout sessions. I especially enjoyed the authentic sharing among the group. I can still remember the session about affirmation whereby we affirm each other of our giftings and what they saw in each of us. I felt uplifted that night after that particular session. That's the power of affirmation - it caused me to do more of what others affirmed in me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aggie,
    I agree that we learn many things in our SG class. After attending the class I learned that there are many things that I do not know about small group. It is more that just gathering, food and fun but the ultimate goal is to build a community like Christ. Thank you Aggie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Aggie, you have blogged from your heart - just as you often loved and reached out in small groups from your heart. You're a "heart-felt" person! Your blog shows me how you've identified sgm principles with real-life ministry & moving forward, how you could lead more effectively as a small group leader. I know your members will be greatly edified & empowered!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment