Reflections on Greek 1

My Struggle with Time
                                                   
Initially, I could finish my readings and complete my assignments on time. However, from March onwards, I knew I was grappling with both. I was juggling between coordinating the two weeks of Missions Convention, teaching “Knowing Your Bible” to the new believers and creating Bible Study materials for care cells in church, coordinating the food logistics for the Royal Rangers Youth Leadership Academy camp and assisting in Hospitality and Manpower committee for the World Assemblies of God Congress. I worked round the clock and struggled to have sufficient sleep, much less to read my textbook. There were days when I had to pop a few Danzen tablets into my mouth because my throat was inflamed. All these affected my pace and understanding of Greek, a friend I have decided to make.

In class, I struggled to keep myself awake and understand the lectures. Outside of class, I struggled to keep up with memorising the vocabulary list and completing my assignments on time. As a language person, I know revising the vocabulary list is a daily commitment. That’s the only way to retain these words. At first, I could revise using the Flash cards apps when I commute to work. However, in March, I really could not do it. When I was in the train, all I wanted to do was to rest my brain and close my eyes as I would have spent my energy staring at the computer for my work. To use my eyes and brain continuously would really push me beyond the cliff. I needed help desperately. This was the first time I saw the red signal light blinking in my mind.

                            

My Achievement
Naturally, one achievement I was most proud of was when I caught up with my readings and my assignments. In early April, when all the excitement settled down, I was determined to pick up my forsaken textbook and revise my lecture notes. I spent a few mornings and afternoons reading my textbook. This included bringing my textbook to visit a friend at the hospital. After visitation, I studied at one of the cafes in the hospital. After reading the textbook and revising the lecture notes, completing the assignments became manageable. I was so glad that I was no longer behind the schedule. Since I had more rest, I also have more energy to study the vocabulary list when I commute to work.  

Invigorating Moments
                                          
            I find parsing moments invigorating. Yes. Refreshing my memory on the grammar, flipping the notes and referring to Greek charts can be a hassle. Yes. I had to refer to my vocabulary list at times still. Yes. I still make mistakes. Yet, once I get all the information I need, parsing is like detective work to me and I find it fun. I love English grammar. I cannot explain it but I just find English grammar makes sense and I enjoy dissecting them into parts when I studied it in university. When I faced the Greek sentences on the paper waiting for me to parse them, one part of me was worried if I parsed correctly. The other part of me could feel a surge of energy shooting up to my mind telling me to parse them fast because I wanted to decipher its meaning.

Thank God for Sis Davina and Sis Jen who were very patient and kind to us. I really appreciated their help, especially Sis Davina who gave us extra coaching outside class hours.

How I wish I can memorize all the vocabulary words in a breeze without hours of memory work! How I wish I can remember all the grammar rules without referring to the notes! I guess being consistent is the key to learning Greek and I must not give up easily since I have signed up for Greek 2.
                                     

Comments

  1. Your packed busy schedule definitely made it harder to be on top of Greek but I am certainly relieved that you were able to catch up with it. Hurray!!! Jia some more you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are getting enough rest now! Kudos for soldiering on when sleep was more tempting than Greek. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya... Have more time to rest and sleep now. Haha... Thanks. =)

      Delete
  3. Glad that you caught up eventually! Reminds me how I 'chiong'ed for O Levels, but only because I was busy playing and had a change of heart last minute but just enough time to save myself.

    All your labour in the Lord will not be in vain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:03 PM

    Thank God that you managed to find the time to pull through and catch up! Indeed God will honour the commitment you've made not only to serve, but also the time you've spent in studying! Jia you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Yes, I will! Let's all jia you together!! =)

      Delete
  5. Hi Aggie
    Your fear of parsing does ring a bell..even for me. It's tough but don't give up. He will enable us in His own way!
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God you managed to pull through with your busy schedules with ministry and all! Your effort will not be in vain:) Jiayou!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made it, Aggie! Am encouraged by your diligence and perseverance. Jia you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Aggie. Yes, it is not easy to manage our time. But thank God for giving us the strength and the wisdom to pull through. Keep on doing a great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Aggie.
    Totally relate to the crazy schedule bit. Glad you have come this far and it's one down, two to go! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Aggie, thanks for giving your all to serve God. You are an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "How I wish I can memorize all the vocabulary words in a breeze without hours of memory work!" Yes, there were times i hoped that i could speak in tongues and Greek would just come out. Haha. See you in Greek 2!

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha that joke at the end is so funny!
    great job for pressing on :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, Aggie, press on... never give up...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Aggie, thanks for your sharing. It is inspiring to hear your perseverance in both service to God and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi miss Aggie,
    Thanks for sharing and bringing laughter in the class. The questions you asked and remarks you made in class did helped me remembering the lesson better! Its like the highlights in the class. Was encourage by your learning attitude towards greek despite of your busy schedule! Thank God that we all made it through~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Roll roll roll your boat! Love your puns! I do agree with the joy of parsing despite the work involved! See you there for Greek 2,buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Aggie, I can identify with you on the struggle with time. We each have our commitments, learning Greek is therefore not easy as it requires us to be equally committed. However, just like how we are determined to set aside time for God in-order to grow in our walk, the same has to be said for Greek. Praise be to God for seeing us through! All the best for your adventure in Greek 2! - ben

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment