Learning in Christian Community



Significance of this module

I realized the importance of taking this module after our first lecture by Bro Casey. It’s essential for both new and current students because we want to create a cohesive and inclusive learning environment in ACTS College and this module lays the foundation for us. Since we are “a community impacted by Christ, sharing common emotions and values and actively engaging in learning from one another”, we should make sure we live out our spirituality in every way when we communicate with our classmates, in and out of school. This means we express our care and support to one another constantly, even when we are texting each other regarding group assignments. This means we share our resources generously and willingly, be it our “manna and quail” or our scanned required readings from the library. This means we develop deeper friendships and share our lives, building bridges and connections with one another, within the English department and across the Chinese department. As we’re doing all these, we’re seeking out God’s will in our lives because the Lord reveals his plans to us step by step. We will never know he plans to open a door for us through our classmates if we are always holding back and having reservations. After this module, we become agents of change among those who haven’t taken the course. We will rub off what we’ve gained from this module to others and influence them as well. It’s contagious, I believe. With that, we will definitely attract new students to join this Christian learning community.
                                                                             
Practices of Christian Learning Community
Gratitude
Paul reminded us to be grateful, even when we are praying (1Cor 1:4; Phil 4:6). This is an important reminder not to take the things we have and people around us for granted. Thus, I plan to practise what I’ve learnt from one of our coffee theology discussions – DDS. This is an acronym for “Describe what you see; Describe what you feel; Say it to the person”. Many a times, we simply say, “Thank you” without describing the action and feeling. However, I realise that describing them shows another level of appreciation for the kind act and the giver will feel more encouraged by the receiver. Maybe the giver would also be motivated to give more in future.



Keeping Fidelity  
Being faithful is expected of me because God is faithful (Ps 15:4). It stabilises the relationships I made, especially in the school context. My classmates would not be able to trust me if I break my promises easily. That’s why I always think carefully and only make a promise when I’m sure I’m able to fulfil it. I’ve also learnt to take periodic reminders of God’s faithfulness in my life. Doing this keeps me in check to keep fidelity and even show gratitude to God.

                                                                                                      
Living Truthfully
Honesty is very important to me. That is why I cannot even accept half-truths. To me, telling half-truths is equal to telling a lie. God desires and expects honesty from us and this is found both in OT and NT. Of course, this also means we need to tell the truth in love. This is why building relationships is important in a Christian learning community because the receiver will be able to accept our words of truth positively when we have a close relationship. The receiver will be able to hear our heart when we speak. Over the years, I’ve learnt to be transparent and vulnerable to those I’m close to because I know they will also reciprocate by being transparent and vulnerable to me. It takes risk because it involves confidentiality but it’s worth it. I believe relationships can only be deepen when we’re open. I’m not fearful because I know God will protect and guard me.  

                        
Hospitality
Even though I’ve taken Biblical Hospitality taught by Sis Davina last year, it’s always good and refreshing to be reminded the biblical basis and the importance of practising hospitality. Treating and respecting everyone as a “limited edition” is interesting. It helps me to appreciate their diversity in personality and needs. I found doing the “Y” organiser where we discussed the pros and cons of how it sounds, looks and feels like when we practise hospitality very enlightening. While we want to extend our hand and heart to others, we must also admit there are inconveniences and sacrifices to be made. It is real that we have to sacrifice our time and personal space to others. Yet, we still choose to do it because we want to and we ought to. Practising hospitality is a command. One of my principles in life is, “Good things must share”. The last few statements made by Sis Davina closed the session beautifully. She said, We were strangers but God welcomes us. We’re still aliens in this world. And because God welcomes us, we welcome our classmates.” With this, I will continue to extend my hand and open my heart to welcome fellow ACTS classmates into my life.

Comments

  1. thanks for sharing your thoughts.. reading through what you say is like a refresher summary of what I have learnt.. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reiterating the DDS practice - describe what you see, describe what you feel, say it to the person. I think it is important that we acknowledge what others give by being aware of what they have done and expressing our gratitude for them. Many times we are so busy with our own work that we don't notice the things we take for granted that actually come from the effort of others. A great example would be in our homes where things that our family members do for us are often overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aggie, every time when i say thank you to others, i never describe to them what and why i thank them for. At times i feels like whether my thank you is it a sincere thank you. Thank you for your group discussion, that came out with the DDS. Always remember to describe what i see, what i feel and say it out to that person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcoming others, showing hospitality.
    I will try, though it is not my strength.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment