On-sen

On-sen, aka, Japanese Public bath

Juz as I had promised you in the previous blog, I will tell you about my on-sen experience in Japan.

Cost ranges from 300yen to 600 yen. Very relaxing and refreshing. Liberating too. Hehehe...

When I first stepped into the place, I had to remove my shoes and place it in a locker. Some on-sen requires me to to insert a coin. Others are simply a shelf. Then, I'll go to the coin machine to pay for the bath, get the ticket and give it to the man/ woman at the counter. They'll give me a locker key for the locker inside the changing room.

Next, this is the moment. Our Japanese friend told us to remove every piece of our clothing, bring our toiletry and go inside the big bath room. With that short instruction, she stripped and went in. My goodness! We took ages to turn to face our lockers and remove our clothes. With giggles and in embarrassment, we scrammed into the room one by one.

It's a big bath room with low basins, shower and mirrors. Each of us is supposed to grab a stool and sit down and start to bathe. After we scrubbed ourselves squeaky clean, we can jump into the hot steaming pool, jacuzzi, cold tub of water or sauna. My japanese fren told me that a healthy person can stay inside this place for 2 hrs!!! My first try was only 25 mins. Every time I feel it's too hot, i'll simply shower myself to cool down or soak inside the freezing tub of water. Then I'll go back to the hot pool. My last onsen lasted for an hr. Great improvement! Hehe..

Initially, my team was embarrassed and self-conscious. Natural. After a while, we lost that and could enjoy ourselves completely. My fren told me before I went to Japan that the Japanese don't find nudity in bathroom erotic. So trruuee! So his comment helped n prepared me mentally. Women of different shapes n age grp came. Even little boys!I began to appreciate the beauty of women in all shapes and sizes.

It's a liberating experience for us all. Even one of our team members who was shy n did not join us on the first day became an onsen convert. She's in her early fifties. She was the first one who dashed into the room on her second trip too. Whaahha...After a long day of ministry work, we always looked forward to onsen. We couldn't bathe in most of the churches we stayed in coz they only have enough water for their family and water is expensive.

Now, my body craves for on-sen. Hehe. Join me nxt time. You'll love it too.=)

Comments