Discipleship

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations...and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you..." Matt. 28: 19, 20

Recently, this topic of discipleship has been brought up to me several times. Many of us know that discipleship is important, especially for new born babies in the Lord. Sadly, most of us shunned this heavy responsibility. But discipleship, together with evangelism, is a command given by Jesus before he ascended to heaven.

This topic is something very close to my heart. Maybe coz I've nvr been discipled one on one and always longed for one. However, over the years, because I was in cell group and Missionettes, I was discipled by a few of the best mentors in our church during my time. My leaders led by examples. In time, when I became a Missionette sponsor, a Royal Ranger commander and a cell leader, I did my best to mentor as many as I could. To me, these youths are placed under my charge by God and it's my responsibility to teach them about God's word and his truth.

Discipleship is hard work.
Discipleship is heartbreaking.
Discipleship is persevering.

Yet

Discipleship is rewarding when

your disciple grows and matures
your disciple serves the Lord in church
your disciple produces other disciples.

My heart wrings into a knot

When I see my disciples struggle and wrestle with God.
My heart melts

As I see them surrendering and
Laying their all before God at the altar.

Two ways to know if God has placed this person to be discipled by you:-
He will tell you by putting the person in your heart. You will have a burden and a love for this person.
Or, a leader or a pastor will give you a specific name to disciple.

I learnt a lesson on this in the last two years. I made this mistake twice. God put one girl in my heart and told me to disciple her. She's a new believer. However, I told God that she's too young. There's this wide age gap between us and I did not think I was the right one to disciple her. So I asked someone else to do it. But I did not have the peace for about 3 months. Finally, I repented and discipled her. I'm glad I did. I've learnt so much from this friendship and discipleship.

Then, God placed another girl into my heart. I gave the same excuse/ reason. Hehe.. Same thing happened. I nvr learn, did I. Haha... Took her back from the person I pushed to and the peace of God came into my heart.

Oh. Did I mention tat discipleship is a life time commitment? Hehe.. Tis means tat when my disciples rebel or stray away, I must pray for them and pull them back into the fold. It's very trying. But God expanded and enlarged both my heart and my tent. I grew. So did they.

Some of us give other excuses/ reasons:
- No time
- I'm not good enough
- I'm not mature enough
- I don't like this person
- I'm scare

The Church needs more spiritual fathers and mothers! Thus, we must all rise up and invest in lives. It's of eternal value too. Finally, I feel it's an honor to be able to make an impact in someone's life.

All glory be to God!

We are all called to be disciplers for God and told to bear fruits that will last. Let's be fruitful and multiply!

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name." John 15:16

7 more weeks...

Comments