Uncle Simon, I miss you

Many people wonder why I'm always taking photographs. Is it because photography is my hobby? Is it because I love taking candid shots?

I had one big regret five years ago. I forgot to take a photograph with uncle Simon when we were in Taiwan together in December 2002. I only discovered this to my horror after he passed away due to Sars and the church needed some of our photos.


March 26 marked the 4th year of his death. It's easy to remember coz it's exactly one month before my birthday. Hint, hint.. =)

Five years ago, I went to Taiwan together with his family. I was only there for a week. I joined them for cell meetings and prayer meetings and services. The only words I understood during these services were, "Wo ga re gong.." It's in Taiwanese Hokkien. It means, "I tell you..." Hehehe. Many of u should know my standard of Hokkien. Moi is a pure Cantonese. Period. So you can imagine how I got to look attentive but actually falling asleep most of the times. Heheh..my uncle comforted me by whispering softly to me, "Don't worry. I also don't understand much." Wahahhaah... I still remember he'd allow me to watch tv late into the night coz there's cable and I'm a deprived adult kiddo craving for anime and taiwanese dramas. Hehe... We took so many photographs of each other but we forgot to take one together. I guessed we both took for granted that we'll always be there for each other. He taught me many things though it's only a mere one week.

Of the many things he used to tell me during our journeys home together in the church van after every Friday prayer meetings, and the times we chatted over the phone or when I popped by his place for a hearty Taiwanese meal, these are some of the things I'll always remember:

- Serving God means serving men. So I must love people, as many as I can.

- It's always a joy to serve God, even if it takes away your family time or personal time. (Yah..He even chided me on this)

- When I'm a Christian, I'm to share Christ to anyone I meet, even if I'm overseas on a holiday. No off days.

- We can pray anywhere, any time, especially if someone shares a need, pray immediately with this person.

- More ministries in church means more time spent in prayer. Or else, I won't be effective and will be zapped dry.

- If I've prayed about something and I know for sure it's God's will, he'll always support me.

- Although he's my pastor, he's also my uncle (awww...)

Such endearing and inspiring words, ne?

I'm fortunate to be one of his few nieces who knew him better because I'm the oldest of the lot and we served together in many ministries. Wahahah.. But I'm sure his life had touched all the rest of my cousins.

We must now all move on to love and serve God with even greater fervency and zeal than those who have gone on before us. Uncle simon has joined the great crowd of witnesses in Hebrews 12:1-3, together with Abraham, Moses, Joseph, David, Daniel and all to cheer us in this race.

Let us not give up easily! Let's press on together!

Comments