Food

Nihon no Tabemono, aka Japanese food

Don't we all love food? Hehe...

Some things I've discovered over the few weeks I've been here.

1. Japanese love to eat fatty meat. Unbelievable but true.

2. Japanese drink green tea or any other tea during meals and coffee thereafter with cake or desserts. Super dehydrating, thus draining the fats away too. Hehe..

3. Three most prominent ingredients or sauces in Japanese cooking: mirin, sake, soya sauce. These three musketeers come hand in hand together and are seen in almost all Japanese food.

4. There are mainly two types of soup. Miso is the famous one and there are more than three types of miso, differentiated by the colour and thus, taste. Another type of soup base is dashi or bonito flakes. You can see these when u buy tako pachi balls. Dashi is those flaky things that moves on top of the tako balls. HEhe.. I prefer the dashi-based soup as it's less salty.

5. They love raw cabbage. Raw cabbage can remove fats too. Tada! HEhe..

6. Onions. This is another important vegetable or bulb too. Okonomiyaki, miso or dashi soups, stir fry dishes, and so on.

7. Instant cubes. What are they? I've learnt how to made clam chowder, Japanese curry, beef stew, gratin and other delicious dishes here using the ready-to-use instant chowder, curry, stew and gratin cubes. Wahahah... extremely easy. If u are interested, tell me. I'll give u the details privately. Wahaha... Of coz, the clams, meat and vegetables are fresh. The cubes are like stock, you know. Hehe...

To sum up, food here is expensive, whether from restaurants or uncooked ones from the supermarkets. So, I need to be creative to make my meals interesting, colourful, healthy and balanced. Hehehe...

On days when I'm too tired or in between classes and don't have time to cook, I'll eat instant noodles, or pan fry some frozen gyozas, hashbrowns or soba noodles. Yah. Or a little more energy, I'll walk to my good old Kishi and buy sashimi or bento. No cooking but energy and effort needed to walk out of my apartment. Wahahah..

When I have the energy and time, I'll do up a feast for myself. Hehe...Now, I make pretty salads. I know, my potato salad is famous...hehe... all thanks to Wendy. She was the one who told me the recipe and asked me to make it for some FYF party or anniversary. Well, this is the history of Aggie's potato salad. Wahaha... Anyway, no, dear friends, I've enough of it lah. Here, Japanese like to put many layers of different vegetables in the pretty way. I will show you some of the pictures of my salads next time.

Tonight, my pretty salad consisted of: bottom layer is chopped cabbage, next is grated carrots, top is a few cherry tomatoes and sliced avocado. Toppings are chopped sesame and slices of thin sea weeds. Dressing is goma sauce. 'Goma' means sesame in nihongo. I love sesame. Hehe... Japanese love sesame too. So they invented this special salad dressing called goma sauce. Super yummy. Hehe...

Maybe I'll show u some pictures of my Japanese cooking in the next entry. Heheh.

Comments