Teaching Progress

Teaching progress

I think some readers must be curious about my teaching progress with my Japanese students. Thus, I decided to write this entry to satisfy your curiosity. Hehe.

To date, I have been in Japan for almost two months. So fast, ne? How time flies indeed. Forgive me for using the cliché. Wahaha.


As I was telling many friends on MSN, one of the most challenging age group is the pre-school kiddos. Within 30 minutes, I need to come up with the most exciting games, creative examples and activity. I must say I've been quite pleased with my lessons so far, as I loved all my craft work and games. Hehe... Please remember that I have no pre-school teaching background.

I'm quite demanding on myself and every lesson has an objective. Yes, even for 30 mins kiddo lesson. I make sure they learn a letter and a number and practice writing it. Then I'll try to link a craft work or activity with either this number or letter taught.

Eg. Today, I taught the letter 'A' and number '3'. Activity was to pick different picture cards of the same kind in groups of 3, as many as they could within a certain time. Easy right? HEhe.. As for 'A', aiyoh... So difficult to find examples other than A is for Apple. Wahah..So boring. So I decided to add a 'A' is for 'Aeroplane' and we folded paper planes. Then I brought them to the multi-purpose hall to see whose plane can fly the furthest for 3 mins. Wahahahaah... so fun. At least, I had fun. For the first time in my life, my paper aeroplane CAN fly!! Wahaha...They enjoyed it too lah, laughing like mad.

Then we quickly scrambled up for writing and bible story time. 30 mins in all. Amazing.

Another lesson, I taught 'L' and number '1'. L is for lemon, lamb and leaves. Guess what I did? HEhe... I taught them the song, Mary had a little lamb (one lamb), killing two birds with one stone. Hehe. Then, for craftwork, I used facial cotton, tore and rolled individual ones into balls and stick them one by one onto paper. That's my 3-D lamb. Then we drew limbs and decorated the paper with sun, flowers, and whatever they so desired. I tell you, they were so creative. They drew butterflies, colourful sun, multi-coloured flowers and so on. Hehe.. So happy, ne? Yah, all in 30 mins, with bible story. No, I don't tell bible story. There will be someone from the church who comes to do this part in nihongo, aka, Japanese. They come on rotational basis.

Okie. That's all for updates on lessons. If u are interested in other age groups, let me know. I'll update. If not, forget it. Hehe... Just in case there're readers who have already fallen asleep after reading the first paragraph of this entry. Wahaha..

Comments