Man shall not live by chee cheong fun alone! (aka, fun cheong or steamed rice rolls)

Since the beginning of last month, I’ve been craving for chee cheong fun and all kinds of Cantonese dim sum. You must be thinking, “Of all dim sum, why chee cheong fun?” “Aren’t there dim sum restaurants in Nagoya?

For the first question, ermm... I love chee cheong fun. In Hong Kong, it’s called cheong fun. I like it plain with sauce, I like it with char siew or prawns fillings, I love them with sesame seeds sprinkled on the top. I’ll always tell the person who sells it to sprinkle as much as they can. Wahahah... Why do I love it? Hmmm... maybe it’s because it’s childhood breakfast item on the table, you know? Heheeh.. I ate so much of them that I was pretty sick of them during my youth days. But recently in the last few years, I started buying chee cheong fun again. Heheh... I’ll buy it also when I’m not feeling well and wanted to eat something light and hot. Ooo... Chee cheong fun...

To the next question, I’ve realized after searching high and low, that the so-called dim sum restaurants here are only interested in selling Beijing xiao long baos, siew mai, jiao zi (aka, gyoza) and super chewy thick skinned buns. So, I miss egg tarts, carrot cake, steam yam cake, ha gao, and many many more. I better not name them all in case the craving worsens. Whaahahahah..

When I said I searched, I really meant it. I went to any supermarkets, shops and so on. I have been searching for hua diao jiu (Chinese cooking wine)too. Been dreaming of cooking chicken wings with sesame oil marinated with hua diao jiu. Heheeheh...BUT, of coz, I couldn’t find it. I became so disappointed and sad when I couldn’t find it, that I thought it’s ridiculous.

Then I began to think. I’m now craving for chee cheong fun, and many other dim sum and ingredients. What happens if and when I’ve found some of them? Delighted, I guess. Thankful to God, definitely. Yet, it’d only be for that moment of pleasure. It’d only satisfy me for that moment. Momentary, short-lived.

I started to ask myself, have I been that hungry for the Word of God? Have I been craving for the bible that desperately? The bible says that “Man shall not live by bread alone.” This bible is the living Word of God and it satisfies us completely and eternally. That moment of pleasure will not be short termed.

After the little breakthrough I had over downloading internet dramas, I’ve been fasting from watching dramas as often as I could. On Sundays, I decided there shall be no dramas at all. It’s Sabbath leh. So last Sunday, I spent time playing the piano, reading the bible and this book “The Voice of One Crying” by John Bevere. This is a powerful book about prophetic ministry. The author dealt with many issues I never knew I was struggling with. A must-read. HEeheh...

I’m currently reading 1 Samuel for my personal bible reading. I’ve read 1 and 2 Samuel hundreds of times. But I learn something new every time. The bible is alive. Amen! Heheh... I’ve also started writing down every thing I learn in a little notebook and the memory verses that pop up as I read.

Many of my friends will know that I’m someone who jumps up, becomes alive and awake whenever there is a topic on dramas or food. I love food. I love dramas: Hong kong dramas, Korean dramas, Taiwanese dramas, Japanese dramas. AHahaha...

I’ve started my fasting on dramas. My next love is now put to test. Heeheh.

From Rev Tim’s bible school devotion, I heard a sermon on fasting. Now, I’ve heard many sermons on this topic and I’ve also fasted many times. But I’m now so inspired to fast on food again, and as soon as possible. AAHahah... Not because it’s our annual 40 days fast. I don’t even have the booklet! Not because I have something I want from God. But because in fasting, I will begin to know what has been controlling my life style (in my case, it’s dramas and food), God becomes the centre and focus of my life again, and I want to meditate on the Word of God. For those who are interested to hear this sermon, you must either understand Cantonese or be able to read Chinese. The link to the sermon is on my blog, “Ecclesia Bible College Chapel”. Happy listening! =)

I think I’m still not desperately craving enough for the Word of God as much as I crave for my dim sum. Hehe.. So I must work harder. Watashiwa gambatte masu! (I will jia you!) Oh... Cheong fun, I miss you!! I think my craving will only be satisfied when I visit Hong Kong again. Wahahahah...

Comments