My Testimony~ Why am I in Japan?

I shared this to 73 people at the Autumn Ladies Brunch held last Tuesday. I thought I should share it with you faithful blog readers too. Hehehe….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was born in a Christian family and I love Sunday school. When I was in elementary school, God became my hero. In Sunday school, my Sunday school teachers told me stories of how God created the heavens and earth and He created me. He is my hero because He sent a big fish to swallow Jonah when he ran away from God. He is my hero when He parted the Red Sea for the Israelites to escape from the Egyptians. Through all these stories, I learnt that God can also save me when I’m in trouble because He saved all the people in the Bible.

When I was in junior high school, God became my best friend. I always longed for a best friend, someone who would understand and listen to me. God comforts me whenever I’m sad. He is someone I can trust in so I tell Him all my secrets. He even sent many good church friends into my life to encourage and correct me. Therefore, I believe in church friends because we have gone through many ups and downs together.

God became my Heavenly Father when my parents were divorced. At 15, my father left our home. Suddenly, no one drove me to the supermarkets and bookstores anymore. But my Heavenly Father didn’t leave nor forsake me. He was also my financial provider. During my 4th year in the university, I almost had no money in the bank. My father had to give my brother and I $300 monthly until we graduated. This covered my transportation, food and textbooks. I didn’t take any allowance from my mom because her salary was used for the family bills. Thus, I gave tuition. But this was still insufficient.

One day, I was so depressed and cried out to God. Then He spoke to me during a Sunday worship service.

“I’m the King of kings and you are my princess. As my princess, you’ll never need to beg because I will provide. If you ever need to beg, it would be an insult to Me because I am the King. Just ask me and I’ll give you.”

From that day onwards, I never worry about finance anymore. My bank account only had $10 when my first teaching salary came.

When I started working as a teacher, God became my shepherd because He protected and defended me. I became a teacher because I love teaching English and Literature. My desire was to help weak students pass and enjoy learning English. In Singapore, if we fail English, our future is affected. Entry into the universities will be difficult and thus challenging to find good jobs. So, I wanted to help as many as I could. Of course, there were challenging times as well, especially when some students needed to be disciplined by me. I would go back to God for help. Teaching is like any other professions. There are ugly politics in the office because there were teachers who wanted promotions and they backstabbed each other. But God protected me and surrounded me with a group of good and senior colleagues.

Now, why am I in Japan? I believe that God has one desire in His heart. He has brought me here to tell and show you one thing. I came all the way here, left my family and dog, friends and church, my teaching job to come here, just to tell and show you this one thing: that God loves you. I obeyed because I want to please my Heavenly Father who has done so much for me.

Someone asked me, “What’s your purpose in life?”

My answer was and still is, “I live to please God.”

I hope in the past few months, through my words and actions, you have felt or sense that God loves you. God is my hero. Today, He also wants to become your hero. God is my best friend. Today, He wants to be your best friend too. God is my Heavenly Father, provider and shepherd. Today, He wants to be yours too! Will you say, “Yes!” to Him? Then, you’ll walk out of this church as the happiest person here. Will you say, “Yes”?

Comments