My first Christmas in Japan

Let’s start with the Children’s Christmas Party on 23rd Dec. In total, the attendance was 135. 40 of them were my students and their parents. My students sang ‘Joy to the World’ and ‘Away in a Manger’ and performed a skit entitled, “Happy Birthday, Jesus’. With bells and tambourines, they sang ‘Joy to the World’ beautifully and joyously. The actions for ‘Away in a Manger’ were so cute too. At first I was worried that the skit won’t turn out well. Thank God everything went on smoothly. I must also thank the assistant teachers who helped me a lot.

After that, the church Sunday school children performed too. It was so fun and cute. Wahahah…The older ones did skits. Younger olds sang songs. After that, two of the uncles disguised themselves as Santa Claus and gave away presents. Every child had one with their names written on it. I helped packed and wrapped these gifts 2 weeks ago.

A very simple Christmas message was given with the aid of puppets. The children were so enthralled by the puppets.

I was thankful that so many of my students turned up with their parents. I was told that last year, many didn’t show up. This time, they even got to hear the good news, the real message behind Christmas.

And that was Sunday afternoon.

We had Sunday evening service here. But last Sunday, instead of the usual service, we had performances by different age groups in the church. The service started at 6.45pm and ended at 9pm. I laughed like mad all the way because some of the skits were just so hilarious. From the senior citizens to the fathers and mothers, then to the young parents, next the students and following that, the working single adults. I was with the working single adults and my role was a pastor. Hehehe… Finally, the pastoral family presented the last song item. I joined them as we stayed under one roof. Heheeh…The song, ‘There is none like You’ was sung in English and then in Japanese.

On Christmas eve, we had Candlelight Christmas Service at 7.30pm. The service hall was pitched dark. We were given a candle with a holder when we went in. At 7.30pm sharp, the choir walked in, followed by the pastor, the church elders and the others who would light our candles. This lighting of candles was based on John 1:1-5, 9-12, 14,16.

The MC were a couple who narrated the Christmas story. In between the story, the choir would sing. The congregation joined in for a few songs too. It’s like the ‘Come Home for Christmas’ we had at Faith in the past. After the entire narration, the pastor gave a Christmas message and the service ended at 9.05pm. For the past 2 Sunday s, he has been preaching on the gifts given by the Wise men. He started with myrrh, which symbolized Jesus’ death. Then frankincense, which symbolized worship. That night, he preached on gold.

On Christmas day, I went to town to have the last moment of Christmas feel. I haven’t been to town since last month as I was so busy at church. Did some shopping. Hehe.

Then I had dinner with the pastors. They bought a cake, lighted the candles and we sang ‘Silent Night’ and blew the candles. It was Jesus’ birthday after all. Twas all very meaningful to me.

Yes. Indeed, Christmas is Jesus’ birthday. Happy birthday, Jesus!



My students singing 'Away in a Manger'.
My students, 3 helpers, my Pastor's wife and a parent carrying my student who's not even 3 yrs old.

One of the skits. Do they look like young parents?
Genki Rangers!!
My students, Joseph and Mary. hehe.
The sheep and the lion. Their children escaped! wahahahaha....
"We're the shepherds who watched the sheep..."
"We're the wise men....Happy birthday, Jesus!"
"No crib for a bed..."
Parents and children waiting for party to start.

Sunday school children's song item.Ain't the sheep cute? =)
That's another version of Joseph and MAry. heeheheh...
My students singing, "And heaven and nature sing..."


Comments