"Laughing Matters: Learning to laugh when life stinks"

"Laughing Matters: Learning to laugh when life stinks" by Phil Callaway

I picked up this book at Tecman in Feb as the title and the pink book cover attracted me. The author inserted laughlines, short quizzes and wrinkle busters that caused me to laugh like mad in the quietness of my room.

The author was a very mischievous teenager and narrated his conquests and playful schemes to illustrate many spiritual truths. A father of 2 boys and a girl, he started the book by telling his reader that his wife was battling with seizures.

Through his sense of humour, we begin to see life's tough lessons much easier to handle. It reminds us that God has a GREAT sense of humour too! Personally, it focused me to hope and trust in my Almighty God even when all else fails!

Headings from Contents Page:
Part 1: The world is full of cacti....But you don't have to sit on one
Part 2: When opportunities knocks, don't complain about the noise
Part 3: Courage is fear that has said its prayers
Part 4: The fruit of the Spirit is not lemons
Part 5: Laughter sure beats Prozac, but there's no medication stronger than hope

An extract from the chapter, "The stuttering servant"

... for much of my life my number one fear was ...speaking publicly....

When I got up to speak to that gracious group of ladies, I remembered Moses and I smiled widely. Sure, I was nervous. My lips quivered. My knees knocked. My liver hurt. I may have even drooled a little. But they laughed. And some of them cried. And I found myself thinking of what I had written in the front of my Bible a few days before.
It was simply this:
Moses stuttered.
Sarah laughed.
Jacob wrestled.
Abraham lied.
Rahab was a prostitute.
David liked rooftops.
Samson brought the house down.
Jonah was down in the mouth.
Jeremiah was depressed.
Peter was afraid of death.
Matthew worked for the IRS.
Lazarus was dead.
Paul was a murderer.
Zacchaeus didn't measure up.
I guess You can use me too, Lord.

Hmmm....I shall leave you here to find that book at your book stores now.

I'll end here by quoting from his last chapter.
"You see, the world laughs to forget. Christians laugh because we remember that the most important issues of all were dealt with on the cross by our Lord Jesus Christ. We are free to rejoice."

Comments