I Trust in You Alone

I Trust in You Alone

You know, illness and diseases like cancer can hit us without us knowing. We can be so healthy one moment and yet be diagnosed with cancer the next.


Mr. Asami is a soft spoken and kind father in his fifties. He loves his two pet cats, PoPo and MoMo. He is a biochemist working in a subsidiary company of Toyato. He is also our church member and a student from my Advanced class. He interprets the Sunday sermons for me most of the time.


Two weeks ago, he was diagnosed with kidney cancer. The tumor was malignant. Thank God it’s at an early stage so the doctor will do a surgery on him on 12 September. Last Sunday, as he was interpreting for me, he told me that he’s really afraid. It’s too sudden. However, he told me that he would trust in God for healing because there are also other church members who have cancer and are undergoing treatment now. Some of them are recovering well. I nodded my head and promised to pray for him that the cancerous cells won’t mutate.



I couldn’t help but start thinking about what if I have an unknown cancer too? Many of us think that Japanese are very healthy people and they live long lives. Yes, it’s true. But when I arrived here, I got to know so many people who are diagnosed with all kinds of cancers and illnesses despite the healthy food they eat. Now, if they can get it, what about me? Hmmm...



Yesterday, I got to know that my Japanese pastor is looking for a teacher missionary to replace me so that I can return home in Feb or March next year. I was quite glad and happy that he has finally started looking for a replacement. However, I couldn’t help but feel a little sad too.



I’ve started to get used to the life here: the beautiful flowers and delicious fruits that come with the changing seasons, the tranquility, the few good friends I’ve made, my students and my pastors. From a city girl who loves crowds and fast pace, I’m now contented with staying at home doing quilting, watching online dramas and experimenting many recipes. Hehehe...



Oh well, I know it’s time to come home lah. There is a time for everything. I told God I want to be as mobile as He wants me to be. So when He says, “Go!” I’ll go. When He says, “Come home!” I’ll obey. No matter how difficult it may be, may I never say “No” to Him. Hehehe.. As for my future, I will trust in Him alone.



So, dear fellow readers, if you’re in Singapore, I’m coming home to where I belong.

Comments